Forum home Tools and techniques

Eucaluptus Gunnii

I planted a E. Gunnii 3 years ago in my garden, it's grown very well and is now about 10ft, which is too tall for my garden. I've read that I can cut it right down in early spring and it will survive and produce lovely new foliage but I'm very nervous about doing this, the main stem is probably about 16cm girth.

should I go for it??

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,454

I definitely would image  what have you got to lose?  If you don't do it the tree will still be too big, and will get even bigger, necessitating you getting professionals in to deal with it and costing you an arm and a leg. 

Keep it coppiced, you'll get the lovely young foliage and be able to use it in flower arrangements etc in the house, as well as enhancing your garden. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dovefromabove - thank you

you don't think I'll kill it? have you tried it before? image 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,451

Definitely DO IT.

Most importantly, don't let it get too big, or like me it'll cost best part of £1500 to get it removed when it reaches 100ft in 15yrs.

I often pass a property that has a gunnii about 8ft high that they cut right back every 2-3 years and have done for many years, it bushes out again the same season and keeps the attractive juvenile foliage - it looks very good!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Do it the young foliage is far more attractive than when it gets a bit older

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Yes, please do it.  My neighbour has one which has just been left and it's too big for MY garden let alone hers :(