Forum home Tools and techniques

Acer's fallen leaf mulch

Hi all, my acer dropped all the leaf for winter. Can leave them to imitate same what would happen in wild/forest? Is it safe to do so (from disease and slug point of view)? Or should I take them of ground? Thanks in advance! Rob.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,510

Depends where the leaves are Rob. 

If they've fallen on grass I would mow them up and add them to the compost / leaf mould bin.

If they've fallen on a border which is woodland / more natural in style you could probably get away with leaving them.

If they've fallen on a border full of precious ornamentals or the leaves have fallen on the crowns of dormant perennials I would clear them to prevent rot / slug damage.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,510

Got your PM but I prefer to deal with this on the forum.

Really up to you whether you want to collect the leaves or not but I don't think bluebells & lily of the valley would be harmed if you just left them. I leave them on my woodland border and they slowly rot down.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down