Not bad for a London garden

I've just been looking out the window at my back garden and, in the space of about five minutes, I've seen: six blackbirds, a flock of goldfinches, blue tits, great tits a jay, a lesser spotted woodpecker, a robin,a sparrow,parakeets, a fat woodpigeon and starlings.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Like a wildlife park. Parakeets get everywhere there, now, don't they?  At least the other birds are obviously still getting a look in.  Brilliant. I've just a seen a huge flock of redwings go over. Couldn't hear their calls - hearing fails me after a 'G' on the scale!

H-C

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

Great to have all those birds.

I haven't done anything about new feeders yet. There are more squirrels now. I don't grudge them a bit of food but I'm going to get some squirrel proof feeders so they don't have all the food

• B3B3 Posts: 10,223

I stopped using feeders because of the squirrels.

Most of them seemed interested in the VB seedheads and the rose hips

Bird feeding has got a bit out of control hasn't it. Not sure it's entirely good for the birds.

I put out feeders so I can watch the diners, not necessarily a good plan

There seems to be plenty of food for them about the garden at this time of year - especially in an untidy garden!. They need a bit of help in the snow. I think it can be detrimental to feed at other times them unless you are consistent.

I have the untidy gardenimage

Maybe I'll save it for the real winter weather this year, if we have one. 

Which reminds me, has 'The Worst Winter for 50 Years' been predicted yet? Or are the press busy with other issues?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,536

Oh yes Nut - the usual suspect was saying the usual things back in September

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/714262/UK-snow-long-range-weather-forecast-cold-winter-2016-Britain-freeze 

But they were saying the same thing last year, and we hardly had a winter at all image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Where would we be without all the dire predictions.image

We'd wonder what they were hiding from usimage