Cow manure

advice again please.

We have a large load of well rotted cow manure ( friendly farmer nearby provides). Are there any problems with using cow manure i.e. Hormones, antibiotics etc. Our soil is almost pure sand and we will be using it for vegetable growing. 

Advice appreciated.

• I suspect it will depend on the herd it came from. Round here there are beef suckler herds that lead fairly natural lives just grazing, and they probably get very little medication, especially as it's expensive stuff. Intensively reared milking herds are probably different, having to have lots of calves piles on the pressure, and may mean more treatments are needed. Ask the farmer?

I don't know what effect it might have on you eating the veg, but I do know that hormone contamination is a problem for wildlife as it gets into the water system, and can affect humans too.

Last edited: 20 November 2016 12:32:10

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Many thanks For the info.  Sounds as though I need to have a chat and find out. I have never seen milking herd only bullocks for fattening so may be ok.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,566

The danger of contamination from herbicides relates to the use of aminopyralid and clopyralid.

Information from the RHS here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=477 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Looks like I will soon know if there is going to be problems. At least I will beable to identify the cause of a catastroph. Thank you dovefromabove.

• Looks like I will soon know if there is going to be problems. At least I will beable to identify the cause of a catastroph. Thank you  dovefromabove

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,038

You can test it yourself using broad bean seeds, as described near the bottom of this page:

http://www.growyourown.info/page164.html

Last edited: 20 November 2016 21:50:02

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I have used cow manure for years and years with no bad effects. It will be excellent for enriching your sandy soil and will transform what is probably a very infertile soil. The fears expressed above are exaggerated in my opinion. It would seem ungrateful to me to quiz the farmer who kindly provided the manure, about what is in it. Growth hormones for cattle have been banned for years. 

• GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 213

Thank you Redwing for your sensible comments. I have access to cow manure from an organic farm nearby. I spread it thinly onto my compost heap as I thought it might be a bit rich for the veg beds.  I suppose I could mix it in with compost but it actually pongs really badly so I'm not keen on that idea!