Which LED Grow Light

I would like to germinate and start some seeds inside the shed or attic, using an LED Grow Light. I will be using seed trays covering about 25-30 sq. ft. and growing a range of less common, mainly food plants that will be planted out in spring.

What is the best grow light that will give a decent output, cover the above area and not cost a fortune? My efforts at indoor seed germination this year, without a grow light, resulted in 100% failure.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Are you sure you were using a good seed merchant?  Some of them should be ashamed of their germination rates even though there are statutory percentage germination rates for vegetables.

You might be better off not trying to grow anything in a shed or attic, grow-lights or not.  What most seeds need is warmth to start them off.  LED lights are cold.  Have you thought of a cheap propagator?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,761

The cost of LED grow lights is terrifying.
    Although I agree they will be the best, atm they cost is way too high.

If you want a good cheap powerful grow light look at T5 fluorescent tubes (Tropical or Daylight tubes - 6,500K to 10,000K will be best).
    Also, don't look at gardening sites for them, go and look for aquarium lights from Aquarium sellers - they're cheaper.
    Plants in fish tanks need a lot of light to penetrate a fish tank.
    I have 2 x 2 54w T5 tubes over my tank and the light is more than enough.
    I got mine from iQuatics

I very much agree with Welshonion - a propagator would be a good investment - no point in giving your plants lots of light if it's to cold for them to take up the fuel they need to USE the light. Have a look for Vitopod propagators - I'm going to get the 3ft size for my g/house

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,265

I don't think grow lights are the way to go at all.

What plants need is natural light.

What will you do when the seeds germinate and there is nowhere to put them that has natural light?

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again

Plants can make use of almost whatever light there is, they're not that fussy.
    They don't use green light, they reflect it, which is why leaves are green. White/Blueish light (10,000-14,000K) almost matches daylight. For my fish tank I have for a mix of 10,000k and 6,500k to bring out the colours. The plants in my tank are fine and have been for many years.
    Once the seeds germinate, just move the lights up a bit. T5's can be just a few inches above the tops of the plants if needs be.

But there's no point in giving plants lots of light, and not balance it with sufficient food and warmth.

A bit like having a Ferrari with no petrol in the tank - I won't go anywhere.

I personally would not use growlights for seeds etc It'll require too much 'hands on', and once you've got lots of plants in pots you're going to need a lot of tubes to provide enough light for all of them. But if you're keen and dedicated and prepared to spend the money, go for it.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,675

Beware of using grow lights or other heat producing light sources in your shed or attic - police helicopters regularly fly over housing estates etc checking for 'hot spots' in roofs indicating the possibility that marijuana is being grown in attics. 

You may well find armed police knocking insistently on your front door, and the back door ... and sniffer dogs camped out in your garden.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• P.J.P.J. Posts: 4

Thanks to all for your helpful advice.

I have now ordered a Vitopod propagator and hope that will make a positive difference to seed germination success.

Although the grow light may no longer be a priority, I did order one of those too as there was a MarsHydro LED light available at a much reduced price on Black Friday.

I don’t plan to grow that special weed and am living in rural Ireland so I don’t think that the heat-seeking police helicopter will be a problem.   

Very best of luck to you