How to sharpen secateurs

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,729

IF YOU HAVE FELCOS YOU CAN SEND THEM OFF TO BE SERVICED.

OTHERWISE, YOU CAN FOLLOW THE ADVICE GIVEN HERE AND IGNORE THE FACT THAT IT IS WRITTEN WITH FELCOS IN MIND.

Felco secateurs are very easy to service yourself, within minutes. I teach all my students. Make sure you have a good flat oil stone well soaked in clean engine oil. WD40 is too light & will be absorbed by the stone in seconds. Lay the flat of the blade on the stone & using a figure of eight action slide the blade over the stone using the whole stone surface. Then turn the blade over & holding it firmly against the edge of a bench, use a thin tool file or diamond file sharpen the cutting edge by drawing the blade away from the edge, not towards it. Once you have a clean edge, wipe the blade with a rag & "Strop" the edge with a piece of leather to remove the burrs. When re-assembling the secateurs, fill the central axis appeture with Vaseline or high melting point grease. If the handles start to become tatty, you can order the new red sleaves. Cut the old ones off & the slide the new ones on & submerge the handles into boiling water. This will make them shrink to the handles.
    If the blades need replacing, go to you nearest Horticultural Trade supplier such as Avoncrop or Monro's, they always have boxes of blades at very cheap prices. Try to service & clean the Felco's at least once or twice a month. If they are constantly sharp, the handles take far less of a beating & so will your "Carpel Tunnels".

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,729

B AND Q HAVE THEM FOR A FIVER.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 14,914

I use Felco's own blade sharpener.

SW Scotland
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 671

YouTube have some great videos of step by step guides how to take them apart, clean and sharpen and put back together again. It was for the felcon secateurs that I watched as I have a pair.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,994

I've never sharpened a pair of secateurs in over 40 years of gardening. image

Am I a bad person?

Devon.
  • ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 377

I have tried to sharpen my Fiskars just using an oil stone with varying degrees of success. They are never quite as sharp as I'd like them so perhaps I'll have a look at some of those youtube videos. I don't know how to strop, but perhaps my teenage daughter will give me some tips?

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,126

You'd have to take them to bits to strop them, Hazel.  An oilstone is flat, and secateurs are an odd shape, so not ideal.  A local hardware shop might be able to sharpen them for you for pennies, if you're lucky.

Might be time to buy a new pair.....good quality ones shouldn't need sharpening.  We've had ours since the 1980's, they were £12 back then, which was expensive, and they've never been sharpened.  They've never needed it. Unbranded, no idea who they were manufactured by, but they've been grand.

Maybe ask Santa to bring you a new pair image

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!