Forum home Plants

Snowdrops

2»

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,441

I have written this before I am certain. This type of bulb developed the bulbous storage organ to escape from the shadow cast by deciduous trees. They did not need to protect themsleves from drying out, so they never developed a coat for protection. Narcissus and Tulips became bulbs to avoid Summer drought, so they have protecting skins. Bulbs without skins hate drying out, those with them do not mind.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494

Just to add to what I wrote earlier, I see that the RHS are recommending that you plant/move at the end of spring, when the foliage has started to die back.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Not letting them dry out is the most important thing. I split and shift when I have the time. I'd be much more careful if I'd spent ££££ on a single bulb though.

• Paddy5Paddy5 Posts: 82

When you plant them don't forget to leave the foliage on until it completely dies off.  I have had a lot of success as the bulbs originated from my Grannie's garden and I am in my sixties !!!!  I have heads showing on my snowdrops today - I am SO happy !!

• last year my employers wanted me to move snowdrops from a woody hillock to a large area under 3 beech trees every morning until the snow drops disapeard from view i dug and transplanted them .I cant imagine how many i moved hundreds!!!yesterday i had a look to see if any had taken and yiphee little heads showingimage

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,441

The moles move ours around the Wood, all year round. They still grow (the Snowdrops not the mole) even though they are lying on the surface in places waiting for the trees to drop leaves on them.

• Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    My snowdrops in a pot next to my back door have been flowering since boxing day. Not sure why. Have been quite abused really. Pot knocked over by teenagers on a regular basis! Perhaps they have a magic touch. image
  • well, i have my snowdrops in the grass and they still come up every year. i make sure i cut the grass low before winter and the snowdrops flower and disappear before i cut the grass in spring. i just checked today and they are ready to burst into flower and my iris reticulatas are also unfurling their dark blue flowers. cant wait for the next few weeks. so much to look forward to. roll on spring. image

• dont ya just love emm