Gooseberry bushes

My gooseberry bushes were stripped bare this summer by gooseberry sawfly (I think).  Will they recover next year from this and is there anything I can do to help them get over it?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,098

THEY WILL BE FINE.

NEXT SUMMER, THE MOMENT YOU SEE THE LEAVES BEGINNING TO DISAPPEAR, PICK OFF THE CATERPILLARS AND PUT THEM ON THE BIRD TABLE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Penny19,use a winter wash with jayes fluid in January, follow the instructions on the container,but make it a bit weaker because it's very strong. It works for red and white currants too. Black currants are not affected.Spray the ground as well.image

Last edited: 12 October 2016 21:31:20

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 456

Hi Penny,

I use a spray of diluted neem oil .... it is totally organic. I've had no gooseberry sawfly problems for the last 6 years ... and great crops of berries.

See this link for further info.

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-insecticide.html

and this one for how to make it.

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-insect-spray.html

I use it as soon as growth starts in April and I drench the foliage. Any spare solution goes onto the soil below as the earthworms are supposed to love it. I repeat spray every few weeks.

Neem is best used preventatively .... but will work on pests that have already arrived. It  does not hurt beneficial insects. Only chewing and sucking insects are affected. The main reason is that insects need to ingest the neem oil to be affected, and beneficial insects don't eat your plants. However, you can still kill beneficial insects if you smother them with neem oil, so I tend to spray late evening to be safe.

It does stink a bit ... but is easy to mix up and apply.

I got mine off ebay .... wasn't expensive for a big bottle which will last ages. At room temperature it is solid, but goes liquid again within a couple of hours in the airing cupboard.

Worth a try .... also seems to work well for lily beetle and aphids.

Bee image

image  Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey 
  • Penny19Penny19 Posts: 43

@$" but they came faster than I could remove them!!

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,864

please do not use jeyes fluid, it is NOT a plant wash, insecticide, soil sterilizer or anything other than a glass/plant pot sterilizer (and I wouldn't use it for that anyway when you can use washing up liquid as effectively).

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,536

Clear the ground around and below the bushes of dead leaves and other detritus and mulch with compost/ well rotted manure

this will help prevent the pests from overwintering there. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Penny19Penny19 Posts: 43

Fortunately (!) no dead leaves to clear. They ate the lot!!

Last edited: 17 October 2016 13:52:45