Forum home Fruit & veg

Gardening For The Elderly

I think gardening to the elderly is really amazing. I will be living with my grandmother starting next week and I'm just curious with what she will be doing while I'm at school. Please help me by advising. Appreciate it!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,176

Well, you've not given us a lot to go on.

Does she have a window box or an acre of veg patch?

Id she able bodied or in a wheelchair?

How old is she?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • You sound like you have a positive attitude, but be very careful who you call elderly! You are only as old as you feel, and no-one on here is more than 27image - though I appreciate thay may seem elderly to youimage

As for what she may be doing, who knows? The people on here do a lot more than a little deadheading. It's ground clearance. tree- felling, digging out brambles, nettles, tree stumps, moving rocks (seriously large ones!) building walls and making  garden furniture, raised beds and other structures from old pallets and even the occasional bit of weeding and plantingimage

You'll have to ask her, and if you are genuinely interested she will be happy to tell you and have you as her under gardener. You may even get the gardening bug yourself, some of us started very young!

Nobody on here minds if you want to ask questions, if there are things you want to understand betterimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

I'm not sure if I'm elderly, I suspect you would consider me old.

Gardening is the same as it always was but with less speed and more aches afterwards. Just like life really. image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,644

YOU MAY WELL BE SURPRISED AT WHAT YOUR GRANDMOTHER GETS UP TO WHILE YOU ARE AT SCHOOL.

Last edited: 12 October 2016 14:26:41

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

pansyface.  Do tell, we won't be shocked at our age. image

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• My grandma is around 98 yrs old more or less, and her hobby is gardening I believe she has this green thumb, her garden looks truly amazing and also bountiful.