New hedge height advice?

Ash BennetteAsh Bennette SouthamptonPosts: 22

Evening all

We have just had our driveway laid and we are wanting a low (ish) hedge along one side (about 4 meters long buy 2ft wide), I like the Cherry Laurel but I'm wondering if it can be maintained at around 3ft .. ? 

I read that they are vigorous and grow 5mtrs plus. We like the Laurel as it is evergreen, produces flowers/berries which also attract wildlife and gives all year round interest with its larger waxy great leaves.

Any other similar sized evergreen hedges considered ? (not a privet though!) greatly appreciated

Thanks all

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,218

Laurel won't like being restricted to that width Ash. You'll just have thick branches and not much else. 

Osmanthus would make a low hedge, or some of the Euonymous varieties, some Pittosporum varieties  if you're in a milder part of the country. Some of the Hebes would suit if you have free draining soil and some sun. They naturally make a round shape so need very little attention. Lavender - although they may not be big enough?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,571

I wouldnt use cherry laurel for a hedge that size, you wouldnt get flowers or berrys because it would never get chance with routine pruning to keep it that size. 

Viburnium tinus would make a lovely hedge winter flowering and berrys. photinia little robin would also be a good candidate. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,051

Escallonia is worth considering.  Small evergreen foliage with flowers in early summer.  It won't mind being kept low.  See this link for a selection of varieties - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?form-mode=false&query=escallonia 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw