Plant ID x2

Hi all,

Hope your gardens are getting the most out of the last bit of summer, I was hoping someone may be able to identify a couple of different flowers, they came up about a month ago, they're about 2' tall, they're struggling for light a bit as the stuff around them has been hogging all the light all summer.

I suspect they may be some kind of dwarf sunflower, but I've no idea how they got there (probably a bird dropped them), or a dormant seed from a few seasons ago.

Forgive the poor quality photos, I was trying to get both the flower heads and leaves in. The yellow one was rather more floppy than the orange/yellow one, but the bees loved them both. They're compact and so for next season I intend to get the seeds off them.

Any help appreciated! On with the pics:

(oh, something (what?) has obviously taken a shine to the petals as they look very battle damaged!)

Suspect 1 #1

Suspect 1 #2

Suspect 2 #1

Suspect 2 #2

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,022

the first looks like a gaillardia, possibly both are,I can't see the leaves and flower buds so well on the second

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118

My thought is also gaillardia for both.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,000

For the last two I suggest Coreopsis.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,022

I've enlarged that second one, not gaillardia but now wondering about Heliopsis

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,726

I'm not familiar with gaillardia but would also have said helenium for #1image

• Cheers for the suggestions everyone, Gaillardia and Coreopsis I have had planted in previous years, but this year I tried to grow some Helenium Autumnale, I thought without success, I'll have to do a bit more research. :)