Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID x2

Hi all,

Hope your gardens are getting the most out of the last bit of summer, I was hoping someone may be able to identify a couple of different flowers, they came up about a month ago, they're about 2' tall, they're struggling for light a bit as the stuff around them has been hogging all the light all summer.

I suspect they may be some kind of dwarf sunflower, but I've no idea how they got there (probably a bird dropped them), or a dormant seed from a few seasons ago.

Forgive the poor quality photos, I was trying to get both the flower heads and leaves in. The yellow one was rather more floppy than the orange/yellow one, but the bees loved them both. They're compact and so for next season I intend to get the seeds off them.

Any help appreciated! On with the pics:

(oh, something (what?) has obviously taken a shine to the petals as they look very battle damaged!)

Suspect 1 #1

Suspect 1 #2

Suspect 2 #1

Suspect 2 #2

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

the first looks like a gaillardia, possibly both are,I can't see the leaves and flower buds so well on the second

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • My thought is also gaillardia for both.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,251

For the last two I suggest Coreopsis.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've enlarged that second one, not gaillardia but now wondering about Heliopsis

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I'm not familiar with gaillardia but would also have said helenium for #1image

Wearside, England.
  • Cheers for the suggestions everyone, Gaillardia and Coreopsis I have had planted in previous years, but this year I tried to grow some Helenium Autumnale, I thought without success, I'll have to do a bit more research. :)