Could someone help me identify these droppings?

Hello, would anyone be kind enough to look at the attached photo and tell what kind of dropping this is? I have found four of these over the last week in the garden. Accidentally stepped on one and it made an awful crunchy noise- not sure if this helps. They are always singular and not in groups. Also have noted an increase in flies in garden but this may be due to recently cutting grass and disturbing something. i keep a tidy garden, and the bins are kept shut.image

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Lucy

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,259

HEDGEHOG, I THINK.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,393

My poop-identifying skills aren't the best, but a 'crunch' might indicate that whoever left it has a diet which incldes bone, shell or M&M's image

Difficult to judge the size from the photo, Lucy.

Sory, not very helpful am I?

There'll be a poop expert along shortly!

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • Looks like hedgehog doings to me, I have several that pop around each night to eat and drink from the pond.

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,393

There you go!  Pansy's post crossed with mine!  Hope she's right, how nice to have a hedgehog!image

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,043

I'd say hedgehog, though haven't seen any for years.. Time to keep a slightly less tidy garden and maybe it will stay and eat your slugs. No pellets, you don't want to kill the hedgehog

• Aw lovely thank you  You've all been a great help. I was worried it might be rats with being next to a field. 

Thanks again :)

Lucy

ps. Muddle up you gave me a good laugh  Here's hoping the hedgehog isn't on the m&m's

• Rat poop is elliptical and has smooth, rounded ends. I clear a lot of it off my consulting table!