Forum home Wildlife gardening

Slug Eggs

CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451

Looking to see if my plant needed repotting I found this string of beads underneath (you can also see a root popping out in the first pic so pleased that the plant is happy).

Weird nature.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Never seen anything like that before Cloggie. I've only seen slug eggs in opaque clusters underground.

Did you tip out the plant and check inside?

• CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451

Yep, didn't want to disturb too much, value the plant but I knocked the string onto the bench in the shed.  I'll throw it on the back field tomorrow - I forgot I'd done that until you mentioned it image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,791

I've never seen them like that either, usually a cluster hidden well inside the pot

I once was repotting a patio pot and found a snail in the process of giving birth.  Saw her body jerk and an egg come out of her cloaka(?), then again and again and so on.  Didn't think to snap it with the camera unfortunately - wish I had because I bet I never see that again!

I might have it wrong Nut, I'm open to correction, I'm assuming here ....!  Glad I got a pic this time.

I've got no idea cloggieimage

I've no idea either Cloggie, just take care when you enter the shed tomorrow.

You could find a shriveled up string of dehydrated snail eggs or encounter freshly hatched flesh eating aliens image

Just kidding image (but they are freaky image)

• LINDA FLINDA F Posts: 162

I never new what slug eggs looked like but it I guessed that it might be the round clear balls I find in plant pots and in the ground. Am I right ? Can anyone tell me.

Yes, Linda, that's how I know them. Probably depends on the species, some of mine are white

Sometimes in pots from the GC the balls can be slow release fertilizer (osmocote I think?)

If I find a cluster of opaque white balls in garden soil whilst digging I've always assumed they're eggs.

Try a look at google images for slug eggs, that should give you a better idea of what they look like. imageimage