Big ideas for my small patio!

Hello all,

First time poster here! I am looking for some inspiration for my garden. I am living in the West of Ireland which means rain is a frequent occurrence, especially facing into winter. The patio is also shaded. Can anyone recommend any tall winter plants? Attachment 1 is before I started work on the patio and attachment 2 is after. I feel that the wall is under used. The ground area next to the astro turf also needs to be filled. 

Also, attachment 3 is the extractor fan of the downstairs restaurant so i really want to screen the patio from it as best as I can. 

Any ideas here will be much appreciated!

Thanks, 

G

Last edited: 28 August 2016 12:52:35

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,942

You need to use the camera icon on the right to load photos.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Gal2Gal2 Posts: 36

Sorry, my pics didn't upload in my post. Please check them about below :-)

Thanks,

G

imageAttachment 1

imageAttachment 2

imageAttachment 3

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Did you say mild or wild Verd??? image Certainly wet!

Hi Verdun, 

Some great ideas there, thank you. Yes its mild, never too hot or too cold but enough to make us complain! Where are you? 

Do you have any ideas about screening the fan, and also can you recommend a nice paint colour(s) for the wall? 

Its a roof top so I will not be able to grow large trees.

Thanks again,

G

Last edited: 28 August 2016 14:26:11

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,942

The simplest way to screen the big black block on the right - and maybe the extractor fan too - is to buy a panel or two of trellis and attach it to some posts supported on feet.  You can get metal "bolt downs" which would anchor them eg - http://www.grangefen.co.uk/traditional-fencing/fence-supports.html 

Then you can stand pots or a trough in front with smaller plants and make seasonal changes as desired.    In a windy site it is important to use the largest pots you can both for anchorage and so plants don't dry out too fast.   Top the compost with a mulch of chipped bark to retain moisture without adding too much weight.   Look for plants that move well in wind such as some of the grasses and airy plants that let the wind blow through rather than providing resistance.   

The RHS has this practical advice for roof gardens - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=674  It tells you what you need to consider for maintenance and suggests some plant groups.

The wall at the back is lovely with all those stones.   What colour you choose for the cement walls will depend on whether you want your terrace to be calm/cool/modern/bright/funky so muted pastels will offset the plants well and work in most light conditions; earthy stone, ochre and grey shades will also set off your plants but may be a bit dull on grey days; vibrant yellows, fuchsias or oranges will stand out all year but may make the space look smaller and so on.

Get a few tester pots and try some in shade and full sun to see which you prefer.

Well done for your transformation so far.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thank you Obelixx, great tips there! I will upload a pic when I make some changes next week.

Kind regards,

G

Before: image

After: image 

Here is an update guys. As recommended, I have attached planters to the wall and everybody loves them. I did not attach the bamboo permanently yet because I think I will use that to the right of the picture to screen an ugly fan next to our patio. 

There are two derelict buildings next to us (left of the bamboo) and a better view in the picture below. The planters can be easily removed if the buildings become occupied. Instead of screening this view I would like to make it look more attractive. Any suggestions? I was thinking about painting the metal railings a sky blue (same as the pallet) and placing some plants there. Any ideas??

As mentioned, I will immediately remove any items if the buildings become occupied but both premises will likely be demolished before anyone moves in.

Thanks, G

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,941

Perhaps put the. Bamboo screening on the railing instead of painting it.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller