Is gardening good for the soul?

Hi, I'm interested to know more about the ways in which gardening helps people. Has gardening and growing your own given you inspiration, helped you deal with illness or started you on a new path in life?

I've found it has done all these things over the past 5 years and I've written about my experiences in the magazine 'Free-From Heaven' and on my blog:

https://dogwooddays.net/2016/08/19/grow-your-way-to-happiness/

I'd like to write another blog post about how gardening is good for the soul and would be interested in other people's experiences (not to include in the post, just to develop my own knowledge of the healing power of gardening). Thanks guys image

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,393

Speaking for myself, gardening relieves mental stress:

green is a relaxing colour,

the fresh air is good for you; the physical exercise helps and there is satisfaction in seeing what you have done.

Looking forwards. ..plant and bulb growth, colour from flowers.

SW Scotland
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,264

There is an increasing amount of good scientific evidence, which suggests that gardening is very good for mental health and well being.

A combination of: fresh air, moderate exercise, the power of seeing things grow etc.

I can vouch personally for the help it is providing me, in coping with serious depression.

There has been talk of GPs being able to prescribe gardening therapy, although I am not sure quite how this would work.

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Interesting - thanks for your response. I think that getting outside, working alongside nature and the seasons and growing food to cook with all help recovery more than some other hobbies (although I do also enjoy reading, crafts, etc...) There's been some recent research into soil microbes which suggests that they might have anti-depressant effects on the body I think. But I might just be idealising gardening above other hobbies here. All I know is that amongst my other hobbies, gardening was the one that helped most when I was suffering.

Thanks Doghouse Riley for getting me thinking image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

I think the outdoor life is a healthy one. The work of gardening is good for physical health and being surrounded by growing things and wild life is good for my mental health.

I don't know what a soul is

• Thanks Joyce21 - I agree that the fresh air and exercise is a big part of getting the body and mind working. And that the progression of the seasons helps with finding a way forward through difficulties.

I've found some of the articles on the positives effects of gardening really interesting punkdoc. I'm also interested to see how prescribing might work - maybe connected to some of the community gardening projects I mention in the post? It's definitely an area I'd like to research in more detail...

Thanks for your comments folks image

• Hi nutcutlet - not sure I do either. Just a way to talk about being a positive force in someone's life I guess! I think you sum up the benefits well - physical and mental well-being from exercise and a connection to nature. Thank you.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,199
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • That's fab Obelixx - thank you. That's tonight's reading sorted :)

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I shall look forward to reading your blog when I've sorted out my house which looks like it's been burgled!

Quite honestly I think gardening has saved my life on more than one occasion. It has got me through divorce, depression and all sorts. Just a couple of hours in the garden sorts me out. There is nothing quite like designing new beds, leafing through catalogues, growing your own food, trying new plants and watching things grow from seed.

Gardening also leads to other hobbies, preserving home grown produce, making herbal remedies, making creams and what have you.

I wouldn't feel truly alive if I had no area however small for gardening.