Contemporary Sleeper Bed

Hi, 

I have a couple of 2.4m long 9"x4" sleepers left over from tiering my back garden. I want to use them doing something on the piece of scrubland at the side of my house (picture attached).

My were either a 2m x 0.4m bed just off the wall long ways, or a double height 0.6mx0.6m square one where the potted laurel is.

Which do you think would look better?

Also, I would want to put some palm, grass, fern type architectural plants in, that won't compromise the houses footings. I don't know what would be suitable, could you suggest some? It's south facing and fairly sheltered.

Thanks!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,910

Without pictures, can't tell aspect of bed, but it will need to be more than 4 inches deep. Needs at least 2X that depth.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • MTB79MTB79 Posts: 21

Photo attaching didn't work, try again...

Which direction does it face, is it in sun or shade?

Ferns need shade and moisture. There are grasses suitable for most conditions.

It is south facing and in sun most of the day.

Ferns would not really be suitable then. Plenty of grasses would do well though

• Not all Ferns need shade, there are a good few that thrive in full sun.

Some ferns will do ok. in full sun, but only if reliably moist. This situation is less likely in a raised bed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,459

Just a thought - take care that any raised bed doesn't compromise the damp proof course of your house. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dovefromabove says:

Just a thought - take care that any raised bed doesn't compromise the damp proof course of your house. 

See original post

Yeah, I did think that, thats why am leaning towards making the sleeper into a square shape, further away from the wall and putting something in there.  Would a cordyline australis be suitable considering its south facing and drains rapidly?