Beasts

Me and hubby sat in the garden the other evening while things buzzed around us and we are both covered head to foot in enormous bites. I'm not kidding, I haven't had bites like this before even in Scotland!!!

Every inch itches. They can't be mosquitos - any idea?

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,618

we have mosquito's in this country, in fact up until the second world war we had endemic malaria (particularly in Norfolk and Suffolk)

its been a good year for mozzies, warm winter then warm summer with occasional rains.

or it could have been horse flies (clegs) they're around at this time of year

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,197

Most likely mozzies in the evening.

Why do you think they can't be mozzies Lou?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 19,986

I think if they had been horse fly bites they would have felt them before being chewed to bits. Its like having a red hot needle stuck into you. If it had been mosquitoes they would more than likely have heard the high pitched whine they make whilst homing in on a target. I'd go with midges.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Ha ha Tetley. My Mum was a tasty person too. I obviously don't taste nice to anything other than horseflies and I react very badly to their bites. I live one house along from a livery and horseflies are occupational hazards. Its their sneaky, silent attacks that were the worry when in the garden but having learned about Avon Skin So Soft in the forum, I now feel more confident.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,151

Probably midges then, I was brought up in the tropics and we had great big mosquitos over there bloated on our blood that would make me look like a plague victim.

English mossies must be a lot smaller.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 452

When I was a lad years ago, and working with horses in the hay fields, always had a bottle filled with parrafin to dab on the horses rumps to deter the horse flies, it was on my hands as well after dabbing  did the trick.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,197

less of a problem here since 151 pipistrelles took up residence in the roof.image

I am SO jealous nutcutlet. I have a Summer roost box on the side of my house but I have no idea if it has ever been used. I found a pipistrelle - after horrendous weather a couple of years ago - all wet, clinging to the wall just outside my front door. I rang the local Bat man image having got his information from the website as I knew I hadn't to touch this little thing. He came and used a pipette to give it a drink then took it away. Three days later he rang to say it had survived and he brought it back to my house to release it where it knew its territory. A week later what I thought was a large moth flew into my living room through the back door and clung to the chimney breast - another pipistrelle. It soon flew out the way it had come thank goodness as I was all fired up to ring Bat man again. They hawk around my security light when the waving honeysuckle triggers it. I really love watching them.

Last edited: 20 August 2016 15:44:28