Can someone just quickly run me through:

When is the time of year to BUY

1)winter flowering bulbs

2)spring flowering bulbs

3)summer flowering bulbs

& when can you PLANT each of 1,2 + 3?

Thanks...

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,466

If possible daffodils should be planted in September - giving them lots of time to grow a strong root system. Tulips should be planted really late November/December.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

best time to plant?

Bulbs are plants, they like to be in the ground

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,868

You can definitely plant daffs in December...when you forget about them and leave them in a shed....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Who would do a daft thing like that Fairy? image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

me pp

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

image Me too nut image and tulips and bluebells.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,466

Me too - alliums and eremurus.  image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Me too image. Found a bag of crocus purchased in Sept, planted em in March, came up green a few weeks later with no flowers but fingers crossed they come good next spring.

At least you're ahead of the game Ck3, I'm sure we had a query about planting tulips for flowers this spring in April.

My best guess at a rough guide is, I plant "new" spring flowering bulbs in late autumn (daffs/tulips/crocus, etc). 

Summer flowering ones go in the ground in spring (gladioli/freesias, lilies)

I've only ever planted snowdrops "in the green", which means I've dug them up from my mum's garden after they've finished flowering. Apparently the best way and they're free image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,868

Not me Pp- I was really talking about...emmm...my sister ...image

I found some little anemones once -  in a pot, still in the little net bag with a covering of compost. I'd stuck them there as I didn't have time to plant them, and  just covered then to stop them getting dried out. image

I found them, eventually, and carefully rescued them, but they turned out to be red not white, so I wished I hadn't bothered image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• C3kC3k Posts: 130

So plant summer bulbs in spring, spring bulbs in autumn and winter bulbs... I guess spring? Or autumn?! Or summer!

Ive just been informed some crocus bulbs are ready to be purchased, purple barr or something, take it I could plant them now or in autumn?...