Daily wildlife moments

• The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 399

This is a delightfully frog-laden thread. Long may it last.

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

That fledgling goldie is adorable philippa! You're very lucky to have them breeding nearby. I have a pair of goldies that have started to visit my garden - totally enthralled by them, especially their birdsong, which somehow reminds me of a dog's squeeky chew toy!  

Last edited: 17 July 2016 19:12:35

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,683

They are certainly doing well Ecokid..........I have a feeling that we have pinched them from our NDN's as she says she hasn't seen them recentlyimage

You're right.....they lift your life a little don't they ?

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 521

Yes I so one in my garden a while since first one I had seen been here 3 years got some black seed begins with n and a finch feeder now they come every day and a baby one was there the other day but did not get chance of a photoeimage

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 855
    aym280 says:

LeadFarmer: Are those sunflower seeds? I'd love to copy the idea! What a glorious photo! I have never ever seen a greenfinch in my garden...  

Last edited: 18 July 2016 00:18:17

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 855

aym280 says:

LeadFarmer: Are those sunflower seeds? I'd love to copy the idea! What a glorious photo! I have never ever seen a greenfinch in my garden...  

Last edited: 18 July 2016 00:18:17

See original post

Yes, they are sunflower hearts, which are sunflower seeds with the husks removed so no mess on the floor.

Last edited: 18 July 2016 00:20:03

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 521

One from this morningimage

• Gorgeous goldfinch Zenjeff

Just spotted what I think might be a hornet? Or a bloomin big wasp

imageimage

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,151

I know that most people don't like seagulls but round here by the sea you can't avoid them. These two have been firm friends for at least 5 years and often come into the house to say hello.

The benefits of making friends with these two are that they keep the other seagulls away from our garden and they don't attack us or our cats in the breeding season.

We all walk happily down the road unharmed while the other neighbours all get dive bombed for months on end :-)

They are real characters and love to splash in the water we leave out for them.

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Funnily enough I had one of those on my raspberries today tinatina, but buzzed off before I could get a picture. This warm weather has been great for butterflies - I saw a peacock and a common blue as well as many others in the garden today. Stunning. I need to keep the camera with me at all times. haha image

Last edited: 18 July 2016 21:24:35