Forum home Plants

Roses

I have these 2 roses and I'm  wondering if I can plant then in front of the conifer hedge?  Any advice please image

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,343

Hi Angela

Roses are hungry, thirsty plants and they can be a bit funny about competing with other plants.  I wouldn't have thought they would like being underneath a conifer hedge unless you have super enriched soil. They often need a few hours of sun each day as well - would they get that there?

Also - how large are the roses expected to grow? - would they have enough room to spread their wings in front of the hedge assuming the soil was good enough?

Roses which are in poor, dry soil and / or cramped conditions will not flourish and will be very prone to disease such as black spot.

Last edited: 03 July 2016 21:14:53

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I think it depends on the rose also, I have one in deep shade surrounded by pyracantha and it flowers endlessly year after year - it's one of the rosa flower carpet varieties. I don't think any of the others would grow there though.