Forum home Fruit & veg

Picked Gooseberries too early

I'm very new to gardening and have only dabbled here and there but I purchased a gooseberry bush and planted it in a container.  It seems to be doing very well and the gooseberries looked large and ready but I didn't read up on how to check if they are ripe.  I know now (having read on here) and the'yre not.. pretty sour ... As I have been gunho and picked a bowlful  - what can I do with them now ? presume they wont ripen any further ... Help! 

Last edited: 29 June 2016 16:22:57

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 28,022

I think I would stew them with a lot of sugar and make a crumble or pie with them. Gooseberries are naturally quite tart - even when ripe.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I looked to see if I could find a chutney recipe because I know you can use green tomatoes for that. Have a look for something like that.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

If you leave the bowl in the kitchen, not refrigerated, they may develop further.  We eat most of our gooseberries raw.  Delicious.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,602

Jam image

I pick half the crop now and make jam.  The ones I leave on the bush to ripen and we have them in tarts, crumbles or even just gently stewed with yoghurt for breakfast.  Lush!!! 

Last edited: 29 June 2016 17:45:01

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

You can get a variety called Xenia,their a dessert variety image

• Thank you to all your replies. Much appreciated

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 120

Rhubarb and Gooseberry chutney is superb.