Forum home Plants

clematis info please

FlyfiferFlyfifer Posts: 164

Hi can anyone name this clematis or even I'd the group and any pruning advice would be appreciated. It has had no attention for approximately five years :

sorry photo is on it's side it was right way up to start with.

my phone always seems to do that!!!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,972

Allowing for device monitors regarding true colour, I think this looks like Clematis Ville De Lyon which is a Group 3 clematis. This means it gets pruned late winter to early spring. Cut back all stems to healthy buds 6 inches to a foot above soil level. This is assuming it IS Ville de Lyon.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FlyfiferFlyfifer Posts: 164

Thank you very much for the very quick reply Ladybird 4.  I have just googled Ville De Lyon and it looks very much like mine for colour, mine has flowered for about six weeks now with lots of buds still to open so the flowering period fits as well.  Again many thanks.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,972

You are very welcome - its beautiful! image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

It is lovely and considering it has been neglected for five years it is blooming exceptionally well. Very pleased with it imageimage

• imageCould be Rouge Cardinal.

• I dream of having clematis like this Rouge Cardinal Richard - gorgeous flowers and plenty of healthy looking buds - my three plug plants are doing well - around 12inches or so tall now.  I have nipped out all the buds and am hoping to pot them up into a larger pot in the next couple of weeks - I have not planted them outside - they are still in the cold GH.

Hichard Hodson says:

imageCould be Rouge Cardinal. See original post

I. Hi Richard thanks for suggestion I will check it out.