Forum home Plants

Strange Foxglove

Lynne66Lynne66 Posts: 2

This Foxglove has 1 main flower stem and 8 smaller ones coming from the stalk.  I wonder if anyone else has seen this sort of thing before as I haven't.  Could it be a new variety, or is it just a throwback?image

• R StarR Star Posts: 18

I have foxgloves all round my garden, they often have little side shoots of flowers, but yours is a beauty, treasure it.. ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,629

I think there's some fasciation in that big thick head but side shoots are quite usual. 

We had a thread on fasciation recently 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/fascinated-by-fasciation/388011.html

I like the ones with the footprints inside

• Lynne66Lynne66 Posts: 2

Thank you for your answer, I have just joined so didn't see the recent thread.  As I said,  I hadn't seen this before. I had a Pam's Choice near there and thought it may be a cross between that and a common one 

Pam's Choice is a strain of the common foxglove, Digitalis purpurea. Its seedlings will be more like the species and less like Pam's Choice. I like them better like thatimage

• R StarR Star Posts: 18

Wish I could come up with good answers like nutcutlet, I'm new also, there are a lot a very wise knowledgeable gardeners on this site thank goodness?

I know a bit about plants R Star, I'm not much of a gardenerimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,440

I'm going to disagree with you there Nut - probably for the first time ever image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

image Dove, you don't see me answering gardening questions.