Forum home Plants

Cordyline out of control

image                                                                I have a large cordyline line about 4 ft high  spans around 3 ft it has been sat under cover over winter and i  it in a sheltered area about 6 weeks ago after winter I have been watering it  regularly and it sits behind a large yucca and palms so I could not really tell the condition until today. I have decided to put them in their place for  on my decking when I found this large twisted shoot sticking out of the top of the plant. I tried to straighten it and it snapped off there are alot of shoots coming from it my question is can I take cuttings from this large stem and how do  do this any advice would  really appreciated.also there seems to be new shoots coming out of the top of the original plant does  anyone  if it will survive. Many thanks.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,994

Hi steve. If you go to the RHS website and put in 'Cordyline cuttings' you will find lots of help on there.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • David WDavid W Posts: 84

That looks like a flower shoot/stem to me, not yet at the flowering stage. As such I think it would not be much good for cuttings.

its a pity it hasn't flowered, we had one that produced a few flower shoots, we collected loads of seeds from them which we grew loads more very successfully .

cheers