Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Aquiligia Cameo

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713

Managed to buy a couple of aquiligia Cameo today. At present I have just the common purple/mauve & blue species, so am looking forward to seeing these in flower - am I too late for this year - does anyone have pictures of them - are they as easy to grow as the more common aquiligia that I already have?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

THey are very hardy despite being smaller than the species so I would put them in the garden now.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 970

Dont know Cameo, but our aquiligia have mutated to many colours and from singles to doubles, all around the garden, through whites pinks reds purple and blues, had them for quite a few years so don't know what the original variety was.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Cameo is a cultivar of Aquilegia flabellata, a pretty small species compared to the A.vulgaris brigade. If you have both you might get some interesting babies.

It's worth getting a few different ones, the reds/yellows of the N. Americans and A. viridiflora (often marketed as 'Chocolate Soldier' ( or something like that) all mix up together with great results

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Cameo are a dwarf variety so I would put them at the front of a border otherwise you will not be able to see them

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713

Thank you for all the information regarding this lovely little plant - yes I shall put it near the front of the border hopefully tomorrow - I can't wait to see it in flower and perhaps share some seeds if I get enough this year.