Forum home Plants

Climbers

Katy10Katy10 Posts: 11

hi, 

I have a large amount of quite low fence along my garden that I want to grow a climber against, I love Wisteria but is this wall too short in height to take it? 

Many suggestions of what will look good on this wall, needs to be something I can train sidewards....

I have an arch with Clematis growing, if I trained a Wisteria along the other side of the arch would it swamp my Clematis? 

i will try and attach a photo of the fence 

thanks

• Katy10Katy10 Posts: 11

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,345

Sorry Katy I'm a bit confused - is it a wall or a fence you want to train things on? and how high is it? what sort of condition is it in? how strong?

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

Hi sorry it's a fence.... It's about 5.5ft and its in a sunny position in the morning until midday when the sun moves over, all in all though the garden is sunny 

I need to avoid anything that will be too strong and start ripping through the panels 

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,345

I'm no expert on climbers Katy but I don't think that's suitable for supporting a wisteria.

The usual honeysuckle, roses and clematis would probably be more suitable.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • @@@@ Posts: 10

I know it's a little regular but a variegated ivy when established would look like a hedge and would last for years as it ends up supporting itself, and it's excellent for wildlife. You could also grow clematis through it for flowers.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

The ivy would go through the fence panels and gradually wreck it. Speaking from experience of ivy coming through from the woodland behind the fence.

Last edited: 29 May 2016 14:06:04

SW Scotland
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

There's ivy covering a 3ft high boundary fence in my front garden and it's full of snails. image

I asked my neighbour (it's his fence) if he'd mind if I cut it off and he said he'd rather I didn't as it was probably the only thing holding it together.

Last edited: 29 May 2016 14:16:31

• @@@@ Posts: 10

Joyce 21 I did say ivy would last years as it ends up supporting itself long after the timber panels have rotted away, long after you would have had to replace the panels without any ivy on them.

OMG it's FULL of snail, Kitty 2 slugs and snails are everywhere you can't get rid of them. 

Poor old ivy, a strong native natural climber, easy to keep in check just like a hedge. I have a very similar fence in my garden covered in ivy and has been for years and I've had robins, blackbirds, and wrens nest in it. Blue tits and great tits are always all over it looking for insects.

No, if you don't really like gardening don't do the ivy thing there's a little maintenance involved but no more than with clematis or roses.