Preventing birds eating strawberries

I have new strawberry plants (and am new to growing fruit) which have flowered and green fruits are appearing. What do you suggest I use to prevent birds eating the strawberries when they ripen? I have only 6 plants growing in one strawberry pot and a limited budget.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 26,016

Hi. A frame with netting over it should do the job

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • tigerburnietigerburnie Posts: 61

Try to keep the netting away from the fruit as Blackbirds will eat them through the mesh if they can reach them.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

We used to grow strawberries commercially, not in a big way but PYO.  My mother-in-law used to make a cardboard hovering Kestrel, with wings spread which she put on a long stick over the strawberries.  She swore it worked......but slugs; they were the real problem.

• Please think too that birds can become ensnared in netting, with disastrous (for them) consequences. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,980

A good rigid cage of something like chicken wire is probably better than netting for the reason David gives. It doesn't have to be fancy - a few canes and wire or tie securely on to those. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,039

And wire netting will also work against grey squirrels (if you have them) who simply chew through standard bird netting.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you all very much. Lots of tips and, as I do not want to cause harm to any wildlife, I will probable try chicken wire.