Forum home Wildlife gardening

Plant ID

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can identify a plant, I picked the seedheads from this in Suffolk last year (outside Beccles Lido - I now refer to it as just "Beccles Lido Plant" :), I think around early July time. They were tiny blue flowers a bit like Lavender , the plant itself was growing out of a wall and the dried seedheads looked a bit like miniature hops. The bees seemed to like them hence I got some seeds. :)

Anyway a lot of them have come up this year, but I'd like to know what it is. I've attached a picture, you can just make out the purple/green leaves, the largest one you can see is about 1.5" across.

Any help will be much appreciated!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 28,004

Hi Tanglefoot. I am just wondering if this is echium vulgaris and if it appeared small because it was growing out of the wall and was naturally dwarfed. The rosette of leaves looks like my echiums did. If you have a look at echiums online it might be a yes or a no for identity

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

The majority of the plants in there look like Linaria pururea to me.

No echium vulgare 

• Hi All, thanks for the responses.

I am growing (only 4 survived out of about 100+ planted) Vipers Bugloss, but it's habit is a lot lower to the ground, I'm guessing it's putting it's energy into getting a nice deep taproot before flowering next year?

Looks like it may be Purple Toadflax like you say Nutcutlet, many thanks for that! Off to research it now but I'm guessing it's a native to the UK and popular with wildlife.

Thanks all once again, much appreciated. :)

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

not sure it's native but certainly popular.

When the Vipers B does flower just let it seed or dump the seeding stem where you want them. It doesn't transplant well