Forum home The potting shed

Average gardeners spending

12346»

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,688

Quite a transformation. You should be really pleased with yourself.

• Thank you for your encouragement - it's really appreciated as I know no one who like growing things near by so it's great to be in touch To ask questions and share ideas. 

Apologies for posting in the wrong part of the forum. I am still finding my feet as to what is posted where  which is difficult as I keep getting distracted reading all the posts. For example  I didn't know until today when reading the forum I should have been lifting my Dahlias in winter and replanting in spring. I have just left mine in the ground or pots year after yearand the seem to do all right . 

One more photo. This is how the long drag of my concrete garden looked last summer  ( I have had the raised bed on top of the concrete for 3 years ) when in bloom. Sort of chaos but I like chaos. Am I correct in thinking it's what the good gardeners would call ' cottage garden' style? image

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,207

Fay, that is an almost unbelievable transformation, turning that depressing space into one so good for the soul! No wonder you are so proud of it, you have every right to be and are clearly a natural born gardenerimage

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,684

Yes Frayway that is a cottage garden style and I love it - big pots, little pots, plants spilling over paths, large & small and a mish mash of colour, but please don't trip over your hose - I love the way the washing line is just suspended over this, that and everything else! It all looks very colourful and carefree.

• lovegardenslovegardens Posts: 85

Beautiful chaos, just the sort I love Faywray

• lovegardenslovegardens Posts: 85

Average gardeners spending!! Not for me always spent on the garden but since in this absolutely naked new to me garden I;ve spent loads my latest this week £185, 35 I'm just praying they all grow well for me and I've not made a mistake with the trees.

this is what I bought

cratagegus crimson cloud
    Betula snow queen
    Prunus serrula
    Clematis montana 'Wilsonii' from Sarah Raven: Clematis 'Wilsonii' has satin white star-shaped flowers, with incredible scent.
    Symphoricarpos Magical Candy
    Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'
    Exochorda × macrantha 'The Bride'
    2 TUBS
     2 compost

I'm very excited with the crimson cloud and it smells lovely but it's raining and windy  only just been delivered and keeps getting blown over so it's hopefully wedged in the corner for now.

Wish me luck please they weren't researched purchase just what I fancied like I said before I'm a non organised chaotic potcher but I do love gardens and all plants even sone weeds

sorry long post image

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

£47 !!!! You are having a laugh.. We buy in plants and I recently paid £25 for 3 and 2 of  them died.. the most expensive 2 as well... The veg plant I bought recently were £1.50p each and I do plant swops too.. What with gro bags / compost and seeds propagators and seeds themselves not to mention  canes bean nettingm shading fleexe and the like.. It is a lot....  You can't just say plants..  We do not aim to make a profit!! Or be self sufficient , its the taste of the fruit and veg... growing your own flowers etc.. And the satisfaction..