Forum home Wildlife gardening

snails

Hi there, I have had a wonderful week in my garden and while doing a bit of weeding etc. I come across empty snail shells small and full grown. I like to think the frogs and birds have eaten them, but I often wonder about the smaller one. Does the shell grow with the snail or do they vacate it similar to hermit crabs for a bigger one? I am intrigued !! Anyone know?

• Nope they don't change shells, not sure what the young ones will have died from though! :(

Thrushes certainly like eating snails, and when we dug up some rat burrows in the garden we found a whole underground ratty room with about 40 empty snail shells chewed open, so apparently they're popular with rats too :D

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I went on a snail hunt night before last, caught 2 in the act of eating my clematis ans sweet peas so made snail soup then tipped out in the morning broke the shells and left for the birds, few hours later  only shells left, though am feeling panicky now as i hope it was birds eeeek

• B3B3 Posts: 12,613

I saw a wood louse doing something with a slug pellet. Was it moving it or eating it?

In London. Keen but lazy.