New fence has ruined my garden, please help!

2»

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,818

If the fence is yours, or if you get permission, what about painting it to soften it? A soft green perhaps.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-lizzie your right. Photo 4 is view from back bedroom and photo 8 is also taken from that room. I took the after photo few weeks ago so it does look slightly better in summer as I've got lots of poppies in the border. My old border had old conker trees and hedging and was very private. my neighbours have sold most their garden for the houses to be built. The old hedge did belong to me but the builders who erected the new fence have put it onto their boundary so they are now saying it belongs to them. Good job cause its wobbly already and it wont last 5 minutes. The houses are not finished yet so I need to get things done before the houses are sold as I think I'm more likely to get away with it. I have brought a few expanding trellis and have put them onto fence panels. I think it's a good idea to extend border and put shrubs at back. Can anyone recommend some tall growing shrubs?
  • jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,032

I would still check your deeds as to whom does own that boundary & ultimately the maintenance, or not, of that fencing.

BTW what aspect is it? Soil type?

If your old border had Conker trees & hedging then the soil is likely to be pretty depleted of nutrients & dry & compacted. It'll be money well spent getting the soil back into some sort of decent shape before you plant anything. Were the tree roots & stumps removed? If not, then that's a job for a young man & pickaxe! Once they're all out then adding as much compost/manure etc will really help.

Sorry to be so negative, but buying new shrubs/plants & seeing them fail is so heartbreaking as well as expensive. However lots of small trees & shrubs take off a lot better than more mature, & more expensive specimens.

Shrubs- Escallonias, evergreen & flowers. Berberis, ditto, plus thorns if so required as a deterent. Viburnums, Hebes. Pyracanthas. Azaleas if soil acidic enough, also Pieris.

Trees- Holly, Hawthorn, Spindles- all good for wildlife. Amelanchier is one I'd always have. Smaller silver birches too- less dense canopy so planting opportunities beneath.J.

• budlia63budlia63 Posts: 141

You seem to have plenty of space round the corner and a beautiful secluded area.  As you've a trampoline etc why not convert that area to utility area for washing line, compost bin, shed, veg patch or anything else you need.  I wouldn't paint the fence-too expensive.  You could grow clematis montana rubens all the way down fence as it's very quick to establish and foxgloves, delphiniums and holyhocks for impact. i would dig over soil and add lots of organic matter then when you find inspiration it's ready.  Good luck, Lauren and don't forget books for gardening book for ideas find a pic and aim for it.  Have a look for The small garden by JohnBrookes for great photos, plans and planting schemes.

• Lauren,

About halfway down the new fence there appears to be a short concrete fencepost on your side. Does that mark an original fenceline? If so the fence seems to be on the neighbour's land. However you should check your deeds before this fence comes to be regarded as an established feature.

The fence looks decidedly dodgy - no sign of any decent posts. Do you know what holds it up?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,576

I would grow that very tall verbeba: http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/classid.3696/

Mine grew from plugs to 2mts tall by the summer, bloomed till winter and I took loads of cuttings off for this year just in case I lost them in the frost. They may need some string to support them to the fence, depending on how windy it is is in your area.

I practically have to stake a pansy where I live!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• lisa69lisa69 Posts: 119

Hi Lauren

I agree with Joe, that fence doesn't look very sturdy at all.  The last thing you need is to get your plants in and growing and the fence blow onto them. Where are the fence posts.

What a shame they took out all of the hedge and tree's image

Plumstrudle also has a point with your soil quality before you plant maybe PH test it.  Then maybe jasmine, budlia and some hedging to bring your wildlife back.

Good luck

• Joe, the concrete post is the old fence line. The fence has not been fitted very well. Some of the wooden posts are already wobbly and no proper gravel boards have been used to hold all the soil back as there land is 2-3ft higher. We called builder today to complain but he basically said tough. We are seeking advice from planning dept at council. Thank you for your help and advice regarding plants. I'm going to start preparing the border this weekend while the rain holds off. got some shrubs half price but think ill wait to see what happens with fence before planting.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,818

How possible would it be to bang in some posts on your side to stop the fence falling into your garden if you are worried about it?

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I don't think Lauren should have anything to do with the new fence - certainly not trying to support it - this could even be interpreted as criminal damage if the builder is really stroppy.

The solution is to get the council to sort this out.

Lauren, do your deeds say who is the owner of the old fence?