Preformed wildlife pond

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,451

I am trying to find a small preformed wildlife pond,the type that has the 'rocks' already round the edge.I only have a small area where I have a pond at the moment but it has so many rocks round it to cover the edges it looks a bit much and also I cannot plant anything round the pond.

I found this one which is a bit too big and rather expensive:-

http://www.simonkingwildlife.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=209

but is the kind of thing I am looking for.

I have obviously done a bit of googling but wondered if anyone here knows anything suitable.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,914

I'm surprised at Simon King giving his name to that - the 'pre-formed rock' surrounding the pond gives absolutely no protection, hidey holes, or anything for amphibians, insects etc. 

We have rocks at one end of our pond to provide shelter for frogs from birds. cats, herons etc - but the rest of the pond is surrounded by plants which trail down into the water hiding the liner. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,532

I don't think that's any good at all and agree with Dove. 

For 20quid you could dig, or get someone to dig a little hole and lay a liner, lifetime guarantee and you can make a beach end and put grasses up to the edge with some big flat stones.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• You can also use a half barrel.......sink into the ground approx 6 or 9 inches below soil level.  Use a liner to go into the barrel and spread the liner out into the soil at the same level.  You then have a "deep" bit....the barrel......and a boggy or marginal area surrounding it.  Works well ........mine did anyway......lots of small wildlife including Newts.  A good surrounding habitat is essentialimage

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

I don't think I've ever seen as big a rip off as that £300 'Simon King' tiny pond. Flexible liners are far better value. You don't really need rocks round the edge of the pond, although getting a good transition between the pond and its surroundings can be difficult.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,593

I think for £300 you could find someone lovely to dig, line and plant a decent sized pond and fill it with plants and fish.

Devon.
  • I too am shocked to see Simon King put his name to something so dreadful and at such an horrific price too for what it is. He must of been offered a phenomenally high can't possibly refuse sum of money for that.

Making the plug for that would take me a couple of weeks at most, the mould would take a day. Punching out hundreds of panels afterwards at 3 a day at perhaps £30 a panel (Labour + Materials).

Someone's taking the P###.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,451

Just thought I would show you the wildlife pond I already have.It is set at ground level and has stones round it to cover the edges as they look unsightly.As it is bedded in sand and then covered with rocks nothing grows there and seems to be just a large bare expanse of stone.

What I now propose to do is get someone lovely (as Hostafan1 suggests!) to help by building a small retaining wall to hold the current pond and I can fill with soil for planting.The 'someone lovely' has just finished building me a stone raised pond to replace my old ground level one.When the garden is up together and the ponds are set up I shall do a thread to show you all!

I do get a bit of wildlife in the current pond,frogs,newts etc. (I have a small toad in residence at the moment) but young frogs emerging from the pond on a hot day have been known to dry out as the reach the stones so cover round the pond would be beneficial.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Get some mind your own business, Corsican mint and european ginger amongst those rocks and it'll look awesome
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,451

The only thing which has had any success in the rocks is Corydalis lutea which I have all over the place and which I love.

I have 'Mind your own business' and it has taken over parts of the garden,It did struggle over these rocks mainly as there was nothing for it to grow in so had to creep in from further afield.It does look good but I have to keep it under control!!

Corsican mint I have grown in previous gardens so a good one there.

The European ginger looks good but the area is not shady or damp but having seen it It is a good contender for other areas of the garden!

I am also thinking maybe some grasses would look good,I have Hakonechloa macra which could look good especially when breezy.