Forum home Tools and techniques

Recommend Dutch Hoe

Hello, Can anyone please recommend a good sharp and good quality Dutch hoe please? Thank you image

• I'm still using my father's - approx. 70 years old (the hoe, that is).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

There are a lot of choices . Cheap to ouch. Still got my dads . Cried when I found it in his shed when we cleared  his house. Use to wake up to him hoeing early summer mornings .image

• Sarah 30Sarah 30 Posts: 16
    Thanks everyone. I remember the gardening god ( Monty ), said that you need a sharp hoe. I have seen a few second had ones that were blunt so I was put off. Should it be made or steel or iron? Or does it not really matter? Many thanks
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,702
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sarah 30Sarah 30 Posts: 16
    Great, thanks Dovefromabove.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,702
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,035

I don't get on with a Dutch hoe but I do like my double balded push-me-pull-you hoe head in the Wolf range.    We have two of the 6" wide and one of the 4" so both of us can play and they attach to a range of available handle lengths so can be used kneeling for close work or standing for clearing a larger area or veg bed.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Absolutely.  The Wolf push-me-pull-you hoe is the best tool I've ever used, and worth the price.

Sarah - it's not difficult to sharpen a hoe with a file and/or a stone.  Keep the stone in your back pocket so you can hone the edge after each few minutes' hoeing - it really does make a difference.  Knife on a stick.