Grafted

Hi, could anyone tell me will the Aronia melanocarpa 'Nero' that I grafted onto an apple tree, the apple as the rootstock, grow into a tree. It has been doing well since but will it grow into anything. I was experimenting about 2 years ago and both parts are doing well since then.

The Aronia melanocarpa 'Nero' is a bit fast growing but I am curious to know what will happen to it? Does anyone know as I believe they can be grafted to Mountain Ash as well, so an apple rootstock should in my view create a tree out of it, I hope? Thanks.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,588

I am no expert on grafting but I wouldn't think so. Surely all the that you have is a rootstock compatible enough to prevent rejection and supply water and nutrients. The Aronia still has its own DNA and will do its own thing. Its a bit like expecting a liver transplant to grow into a heart.

What you might get, if your apple stock is tall enough, is some kind of lollipop standard, like Kilmarnock willows or similar.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,133
    I agree with Buttercup. You have an aronia on Apple roots. The roots will supply water and nutrition. That's all.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,993

Can grafts between 2 different species work?

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
    As I understand it aronia and apple are both rosaceae so presumably compatible?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Most Pears  are grafted on Quince  so its not unusual if they are closely related.

• I have seen that pears can be grafted to Aronia melanocarpa as well as being grafted onto hawthorns. I have also read that Aronia melanocarpa has been grafted onto mountain ash as a way to commercially gather the berries and that both these plants can also cross pollinate each other, even leading to a hybridisation of the two. But there are chimera grafts as well? Not too weird as tomatoes can be grafted onto potatoes now? 

But I do wonder if it will turn out to be a shrub or a tree?

Aronia, hawthorn and mountain ash are all rosaceae so theoretically compatible.

Tomatoes and potatoes are both from the solanum family as are aubergines which are also grafted together with the other two. 

I think it's highly unlikely that grafting chokeberry onto an apple rootstock would change the nature of the growth pattern of the chokeberry.  It might make it more or less vigorous than it would be on it's own roots, that is all. 

• Pity but have to wait and see what it will do now out of curiosity?

It would be interesting to see some photos as it develops.

• Dove, It is getting its leaves now, I might do that on here when the leaves are fully out? Can keep using this thread for that lol.