Forum home The potting shed

Feeling sorry for myself today

Having taken over a really rundown and neglected garden last year,  I spent most of the autumn clearing rocks and weeds as well as building a pond.. 

So now March has come and at last I get to do some real gardening and enjoy being outside. Or at least that was the plan but after only two days I have pulled my back quite badly, moving yet more rock and stone!  I can barely walk never mind do any gardening and to say i am frustrated is an understatement.. The one ray of sunshine is my GW magazine which has just arrived in the post.  

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

I have pulled a neck   muscle. Yesterday volunteer gardening image. Got lots to do as well.  just plod on and get better soon . Piece of cake ?image Bakewell

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,886

I think most of us have been there for one reason or anotherimage The thing is not to let enthusiasm get the better of you,but to get there gradually. Athletes always warm up before a race and it is sensible to do the same, you get more done in the endimage

I have had a bad back in the past,  and a real pain in the neck as well, which affected my arm. The physio said it was 'wear and tear' and that was about 15 years ago! Both things could potentially recur, but I have learned how to manage them so they don't. One thing I did learn is that with a bad back it is vital to keep moving, even though it hurts, sitting or lying around doesn't help it at all, unfortunatelyimage

I start with something that involves moving around, but nothing too heavy, do that for a while and then do one of the heavier jobs, moving muck or compost, walling, laying flags, digging, whatever, but set a  realistic limit - only 6 barrowloads, half the plot, stop in an hour, as seems appropriate. Then I do some thing else that uses different muscles or the same ones differently, like weeding  or grasscutting and so on. Interspersed with coffee/tea breaks and lunch I can get through a lot of jobs in a day. For big jobs I use the 'eat an elephant' approach and try to do a stint every day and it is surprising how well you get on doing this. You get through much more when you are fresh than when you are tiredimage

Enjoy your mag for a while and then get back out there, even if it is only to potter around and make plans - that is gardening too! Hope you feel better soon.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,557

I'm sorry about your back, hope it feels better soon.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,577

You have my sympathy Mrs Greenfingers - take it easy as much as you can and don't rush things - hopefully you can still do little things, sowing seeds in pots and pricking out - just to keep your hand in image

Get well soon image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,367

we've all been there, and I'm sure we'll all be there again at some point. 

Don't be despondent. It's only March. Lots of time to sort it out. 

I'm having surgery on my knee on April 11th so I guess I'll be laid up after that.

Devon.
  • Thanks everyone,  as ever some great advice  Agree that doing things slowly would have been sensible but then I never was sensible. Must say I love the expression "eat an elephant" made me laugh . Currently sun's out so I am sat in the garden making grand plans and potting up some cuttings.You can't keep a gardener inside for long.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,886

I think the mild winter has made it worse. In a 'normal' year I would have had ice and snow and lots of low temperatures and it would have been obvious it was still winter well into March. But with the mild, wet weather, things have been growing and flowering out of season, so I keep thinking I should be further on than I am, when really it is barely the start of spring here. In actual fact, with the last 10 days or so being dry, I have got a lot more tidying done than usual. Not that there isn't loads more to do, so I can't afford to slack. There is always that faint hope floating before me, that this may be the year I get everything rightimage Fat chance!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

As someone who has had serious back problems the best thing you can do Msgreenfingers is keep moving. Don't lie down or at least not for long, sit for short periods only and take ibuprophen and walk as much as you can. I know exactly how it feels you have my years worth of sympathy.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,135

Agree with Dave, gentle exercise. Walking is great.