Forum home Plants

Id please

Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Could someone please tell me what this is and if it should be in sun or shade.

Thank you for your help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,448

That looks like Arum italicum - happiest in moist shade or semi shade image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,630

It's one of the arums, probably Arum. italicum. Lovely winter ground cover in shade, Great red (poisonous) berries follow spathe flowers, leaves die off after flowering and reappear for the following winter.

Spreads by seeding with the aid of small rodents, crops up all over the garden

• Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Thank you Dovefromabove and nutcutlet, that is definitely it from looking at the photo, it does get those red berries, I got it from my Mother-in-law, I only have it on pots at the moment and have a tray of loads of little ones, just wanted to check before I plant it, so I goes  in the right place. Thank you both for your help.image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,518

A lot of people would call it a weed. It spreads and is quite hard to get rid of. But it is a pretty weed for wild and woodland places. I wouldn't plant it in a flower border.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,888

I don't plant it all, it just appears and is the hardest job to dig out.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks for the info, I was just going to put a bit under where I have a tree, it won't be going in any flower borders. Thank you for your help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,448

That sounds like a good spot for it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you Dove.image