Forum home Plants

Spiky weeds??

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,840

Anyone any idea what they are, seem to be rather a lot of them, always suspicious. I don't remember them from last year either, but I have cleared a lot of ground lately. 

As always, very appreciative of any help. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289

It's a Euphorbia DD - but it's name escapes me. Someone will remember very quickly though!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,840

Ahh, now I recognise them, not noticed them so small and skinny before, used to seeing them bigger and bushier. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

Think it's because it's the weedy one DD - it has a different habit to the cultivated ones.

I remember someone had the same problem last year and they posted pix. 

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,840

Hope it wasn't me. imageimage

Bob (the gardener) and nut know it's name - I can't remember at all  image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,630

Euphorbia lathyrisimage

They're coming up all over the place. They're distributed by aliens you knowimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,450

If you're going to pull them up use gloves and long sleeves.  Don't get the sap on your skin.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I knew nut and Dove would turn up to the rescue DD image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,630

I've been bitten by a euphorbia, not much fun. (Not this one, E. myrsinites, a fine spry on a hot day when I cut the stems off.)

I still pull them up bare handed thoughimage

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,883

Be careful about touching your eyes unless you've washed your hands really well. It's extremely painful

In London. Keen but lazy.