Turkeys that didn't make it past Christmas

Walking around the supermarket each week, I'm intrigued by those packs containing  huge turkey legs & thigh joints and ridiculously cheap, costing something like £3.

I'm no stranger to the happenings of the kitchen, but I can't think of anything (other than pet food) that they may be used for.

Recipes please, you clever lot! image

I knew all this turkey crown business would have repercussions. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,816

I cook them long and slow in a casserole. You can add Moroccan flavourings and vegetables and serve with cous-cous. You can take the tender cooked meat off the bone and stir it into a curry sauce, or a creamy mushroom sauce. I expect you could roast them with roasted veg around them. I've used them for making big curries for charity events, because they are such good value. I hope the turkeys are treated OK when alive.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Lizzie.....you're a star! xx  image All I could think of is to casserole and then expected them to be stringy.

I love the collective knowledge of this forum. image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,757

I don't get that 'crown' thing either David. How do you make gravy!!

Casserole of some kind would be my choice too, but a creamy sauce like stroganoff would be very tasty. I do that with chicken, but turkey might need a bit of oomph to get more flavour.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,353

I agree - casserole/slow cooker type dishes are a perfect way to use the legs - cook double the amount and use half of it to make a pie filling - two dishes for one lot of electricity image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,816

Yes, forgot pies! I've done that too.

Dordogne and Norfolk

And curries!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,574

Don't forget pies! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Can't have too many pies Lyn image