New Wooden Fence

? What do I use to paint / treat the new fence to weather proof it pls

It is made from 3 ' lengths of  new wood 3" x 1/2 " to be attached to cross beams

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• Creocote is the modern watered down version of Creosote.  Do you want a particular colour ?  Cuprinol is available in various shades.  You may need to apply every few years depending on exposure.

Creosote is still available to the amateur if you know where to look.......it is a good preservative hence it's old use on the railway's but there are H & S aspects to think about. 

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,160

Thanks Philippa............were you a railway worker ?image

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • Haha Newboy..........no....just had a lot of old sleepers over the years.  Once impregnated with creosote they last for ever but that isn't really the ideal way to go for garden fencing.

Think about the colour you feel would do and go for either Creocote or Cuprinol - either will weatherproof your fence as well as stain it but just bear in mind that you may be working on a 3 year cycle.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,330

I had an old sleeper too philippa...I got a divorce....image

I use Ronseal or Cuprinol for most of my fencing Newboy. Some areas which get a battering from the elements need  re coated quite often. I've used Sadolin in the past and found that good too. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairy ....  I imagine they are pretty hard to squeeze a decent settlement out of tho....imageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,330

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,305

don't talk about sleepers image makes a change from non-sleepers eh?image

Devon.