Gu pots and pringle lids.

This is a technique tip only for those who have a resident teenager.

Plastic Pringle box lids fit perfectly onto Gu pots. Snap! Sterilisable, re-usable, airtight seed soaking/stratifying jar. Stands up to boiling water well, does fine in the fridge and microwave too. You can write on the plastic lids with a waterproof pen, or on the side of the jar, to rub off when you've finished. Sorted.

Remember to rinse and aerate them twice a day with cooled boiled water to keep them fresh - the seeds I mean, not the teenagers image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,235

Well I never .....will certainly give it a goimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • I use pringle lids to cover part used cans of cat or dog food - not quite airtight but keep the flies awayimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,533
    I use a lot of plastic trays for pots to stand on and empty toilet rolls for seedlingsimage
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,399

What's a GU pot? image

My teenagers clearly haven't used them!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks Dinah - I do believe I have some half eaten sour cream and chive flavour Pringles lingering in the cupboard from Christmas!

• B3B3 Posts: 9,715

Got industrial quantities of gu pots. They always look as if they should be useful for something, but I've never worked out what!

Unfortunately, I don't like Pringles much 

Maybe we could have a gu/ Pringles top swap threadimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,451

I used a load of glass gu pots for tea light holders for my wedding. The rest of the year, they are slug pubs, dotted around the garden.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Useful tip! I have been looking for just such lids without success so far. The lids sold for pet food tins are just a fraction too tight for Gu pots and split. The Gu pots are just right for present sized jars of jam, jelly, nut butter etc. Goldilock size image

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 863

Fairygirl I think that GU is a shop bought dessert, haven't tried then myself.

• DinahDinah Posts: 263

Wonderful innovations people! image I like the jam idea, a nice, low sugar preserve for me please. image

For those not familiar with Gu pots, they are, indeed, a desert in a glass jar, but have no lid - just plastic film. They are fearsomely deadly-sweet though, which is why I think they only suit the metabolism of a teenager.  Children too, but parents can step in when they see a child living on Gu and Pringle. Can't do much to deter a teenager. A box or jar would probably kill me off - strange how bodies loose the ability to deal with these things. "Extreme eating" I think it is called.

For seeds, however, packaging is perfect! image