Forum home Plants

Planting Begonias

mac12mac12 Posts: 41

I want to grow Begonia corms in hanging baskets. When should I plant them and do I plant them direct in the baskets or start them off in pots

• You can do them either way mac but whichever method you choose, hold on until the weather warms upimage

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,867

I would start them off in pots. That way you won't find you have gaps in the hanging basket display if one or more of the corms fails to grow.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575

I start mine off in seed trays, just sitting on the top of any old damp compost and once they shoot and get to about 2" tall, I then pot the up.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 272

I've started mine off already indoors In small pots.  The ones which have sprouted graduate to the window ledge and once they are a couple of inches tall I'll harden them off and move them to the greenhouse.

• mac12mac12 Posts: 41

Thanks for your replies, I'm away for a few days so will plant them in pots when back.

Esspee when did you plant yours and how quick do they grow?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575

I planted mine this week indoors, they are quite slow this time of the year but some have made a start they get on  when the weather warms up a bit.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 272

Hello Mac,

It must have been about two weeks ago.  They had been wrapped in newspaper in a cardboard box in a cool under stair cupboard.  Many of them had chitted (If that is the right word) so I planted them about a centimetre down in multipurpose compost and  kept them inside.  As they show through the compost I move them to the window ledge where they get loads of light but once growing well I'll move them to the greenhouse under extra protection for a while.

I am no expert but this works for me. Good luck.