Best and worst seed and potting compost

• I subscribe to Which Gardening magazine and always take notice of their compost trial results which are updated every year.Perhaps I shouldn't mention it here.

The one mentioned by B3 has been Best Buy and I have had no trouble with it.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,543

the problem with trying to recommend is that the mix may change between seasons, and even between production batches.  I bought 'own brand' a couple of years ago and it was virtually unusable.  It was so coarse it could almost have been used as a weed suppressant.

Maybe we should suggest to the producers that they have a clear panel on the side of the bag so that we can see before we buy without the need to make a sneaky hole in the side when nobody is looking.image

• B3B3 Posts: 10,372

You're right KT. They do change from year to year and when you think about it, why wouldn't they? It's a relatively natural product. We expect it with wine, so why not compost? I Like the idea of the panel. Also, information about content and provenance  - like that's going to happen!

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Personally my recommendation would be the Clover compost. I find it very consistent and have never had any bad results with it. I use a lot of it an get 3 for £10.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 395

Agree with B3 Verve is the worst I have ever bought.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,940

"Clover prides itself on its products being manufactured from 100% quality Irish Peat"

You'll be on the hit list guys.image 

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,557

I always use Erin Malloy.

i will try the Wyvale this year though as they are selling on offer four 75 lt bags for 20.00.

seeds will germinate in anything, you don't want rich soil for those, I add perlite For drainage. It doesn't need to be soaked, I cringe when I see Monty Don with that huge metal watering can, go right over the tops of the seeds.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,940
    Lyn wrote (see)

, I cringe when I see Monty Don

Devon.