Unusual behaviour of Magpies

We have a lot of Magpies in a nearby wood and they are always on the field at the end of our back garden.   I counted 19  in a group a few weeks ago.   

For the last few days we have had a pair of Magpies rearrange an old pigeon nest in a nearby Hawthorne tree.   I can see it quite clearly and have had my binoculars out.   They have been bringing twigs on a regular basis and have built a lovely little cup shaped nest.    It's definatley not a Magpie nest, way to small and the wrong shape.       We think the nest is a sort of trap for smaller birds to lay there eggs and for the Magpie  to swoop in and take their eggs or their young later on.    What do you think ?   Iv never seen ths behaviour before. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,270

They could be juveniles constructing their first nest together and maybe don't have much of a clue about what to do. I watched two bluetits (with the help of a nestbox camera) last year making a pig's ear of a nest building job. One brought stuff in and the other threw it out. Went on for days like that. I was hoarse with screaming at the telly. Did no good. They gave up in the end.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,266

Edd - I remember reading that too - sort of starter nests which will only be finished when the female makes her choice and the finish the nest together. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,448

They don't look like juvenile birds.   I'll have to wait and see.   Let you know later on in the season what's happening.    Thanks for your info. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,270
    Could just be a couple of incredibly stupid magpies, maybe?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.