Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse on Decking?

Can I put an 8 X 10 greenhouse on decking?  Can I screw the base onto decking?  Am I heading for disaster?  I will buy toughened glass and bar capping.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,666

You could but will have to dismantle it a few years down the line when the decking rots.   The humid conditions and condensation running down the glass inside a greenhouse will probably accelerate that happening too.  Wood preservative is toxic and something you definitely want to avoid using anywhere near a greenhouse, so that's not really an option to prolong the life of the decking.

I would put the effort in now to either remove the decking and build a proper base or put the greenhouse somewhere else.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you - brilliant advice.  I will try and find a good gardener to take up the decking and put some paving slabs down.  Again - thank you.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,363

That's a good idea, think of the rats under the decking, they may come into your greenhouse in the winter. I have mice in mine.

you can't beat a good base for a greenhouse.

i wouldn't ask a  gardener to take up the decking and lay slabs, gardeners can be very expensive.  Try someone in the building trade, or even a man friend could do it.

oops! Sexist remark, even a strong friend could do itimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,054

tee hee @ " even a man "

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,363

I know! I could have deleted, but you what a devil I can be.imageimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.