Forum home Plants

Half of Lavender Dying

Hi there, I have 2 pots of lavender planted at the same time. One of them is quite healthy but the other struggles quite a lot. Today it seems half of it is on the verge of dying. I've checked the soil, it's slightly moist from yesterday's watering. It's summer here in Australia so watering is every 2-3 days depending on weather. They get about 4-5 hours of morning to midday sun. The photo below (sorry it's sideways!) show the half healthy, half sad lavender... 

1) I'm having problems identifying the issue, can anyone help?

2) Would cutting out the bad half save it?

Thank you!

May

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Lavender does that sometimes even in the ground just cut it out,, it still should be ok where it isimage
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,463

Zooming in on the compost in the pot it looks quite fibrous - lavender prefers a very free draining gritty soil-based growing medium so repotting it might make it happier image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 986

Sorry - Cut your losses and throw it out. Lavender is so cheap and easy to take cuttings from the other plant.

• Pat EPat E Posts: 11,386

They also like a dressing of lime, believe it or not. That information was given to me by the old fellow who started that huge lavender farm in north east Tassie. 

S. E. NSW