Forum home Plants

Sweet Pea seedlings

I planted Sweet Pea seeds, 3 to a small square pot last month and with bottom heat to my aluminium greenhouse staging they are doing very well.  Sturdy seedlings with roots starting to show at the bottom of the pot.

My question is, should I pot the seedlings on to 1 per (larger) pot before hardening off and planting out in March/April.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think...

• I usually leave mine in the pot and then plant all 3 at the base of each cane of my wigwam. You will need to pinch them out at the 2 pairs of leaves stage to make them bush out. If you are planning on planting them out as early as March or April they will need hardening off too, if they are growing under glass, unless you are somewhere beyond all risk of frost.

You could make a wigwam over a  very large pot (or use an obelisk or the like if you have one) and then keep them inside until it is safe to put them out. I do this sometimes, and by that time of year I can leave the pot by the door and the door open a lot of the time, so they are already almost hardened off before I move them outside.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,518

They don't really need bottom heat, they are hardy. You don't want to encourage them to grow long and spindly before planting out time. I keep mine in a cold frame, unheated. They need to grow slowly and don't care for too much root disturbance.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I've got a sweet pea question too (not wanting to hijack this thread!). I've got them planted in root trainers in a cold frame with some stems but only a couple with leaves (that I have pinched out). Looking closer I'm thinking the leafless stems may have been chewed by something - is that the end for them or would they recover?

Slugs are very fond of sweet peas. If the leaves have been completely eaten it may be bad news, don't throw them out just yet though.

Dordogne and Norfolk
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thanks for the advice all.  

They are growing under glass in my unheated and draughty greenhouse so I will turn off the basal (paraffin burner) heating now and move them out of the direct sun (when it comes out!) towards the back of the greenhouse and closer to the ground.

I have started pinching out at the 2 pair of leaves stage and will leave them in the pots and plant as you suggest Buttercupdays.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,995

I've found mice to be hugely fond of sweet peas too.

Devon.
  • I hates those meeces to pieces!

• I prefer to plant sweet peas straight into the ground.  It saves the possibility of failure when replanting.