Forum home Talkback

Sweet Peas

Do you soak sweet pea seeds before planting - I grew them for the first time last year and I soaked the seeds overnight - what do other gardeners do?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,415

I don't soak or chit either.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I don't soak, it doesn't matter if you do or notimage
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I've done both over the years. I find seed quality is more important.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,888

I don't soak ....never organised enough to plan a whole 24 hours in advanceimage.  But my collection of loo roll innards is beginning to overflow, which tells me that sowing time must be getting very closeimageimageimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

The first time I grew sweet peas I soaked them but I haven't since and they seem to germinate just as well.

Snap chicky - the loo roll mountain here is something to beholdimageimage

• I tried soaking last year - and I grew my sweet peas in loo rolls - yes they were stuffed in every spare drawer until planting time. I found that the loo rolls turned mouldy as they never really dried out from one watering to the next. However the sweet peas were lovely and I picked and gave away many bunches of the flowers.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,362

Dont soak or chit, wont bother with the loo rolls then, I use those little brown pots that look like paper mache

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,702

I don't soak them either ... although I think that if I had some sweet pea seed that had been in the back of the drawer for a few years then I probably would. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Don't soak or chit either.....not looking for unnecessary jobs to do.