New Gardening TV Show

Hi there, We are a small production company trying to make a gardening show which will premier on BBC 3. We are unsure on what our program could consist off, does any one have some sort of intrest? Thanks if you could leave 1 or 2 ideas.

Golden Glove Productions thanks you. 

• Any reply are great!! Thanks again

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,697

Some time ago I mentioned on this forum that I thought it would be a good idea for there to be a short (5 mins max) educational spot telling people in plain language with no whizz bang zooming photography and no shots of the presenter's earhole how to identify beneficial insects in the garden. So many people are addicted to spraying things that they don't recognise, often killing the goodies because they look weird.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I would like to see something on small gardens , how to make the most of limited space. Also designing a small garden from scratch, not just the planting but the hard landscaping. There are so many new gardens with a small unusable patios, a rectangular lawn and small borders around the edge. People need inspiration of what they can achieve , me included.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,637

I love roses and their are often questions asked about them here. Please could we have some advice on how to care for different varieties, which are suitable to grow in pots, pruning for ramblers and climbers, when and how much to feed and water, diseases etc.

You could have a sections on people's gardens and design and another section on caring for individual plants.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,120

In all the ears of watching TV programmes about gardening I cannot remember one being dedicated to indoor plants. House plants or Conservatory ones that is, not greenhouse ones.

Not that it would be any good to us as we have not got any.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 832

First step is know your audience or in other words who is it for? As BBC3 has been a "youth oriented" channel and is about to move to online only that would imply a different approach is needed than that used for the more mainstream audience for such shows on main channels.

Everybody has to start somewhere so there may be some mileage in a "Delia - How to Boil an Egg" approach. Simple things like how to choose and use the right tool for the job can make a real difference to getting people hooked on gardening. None of us is born knowing how to do this. Start with the basics like spade and fork - there is a wide choice available but if you don't know how to use them correctly it is easy to pick the wrong tool and make life much harder for yourself and probably give up. That can easily be a running segment in any series as there is a vast array of hardware out there. Maybe try a Mythbusters approach on things like bulb planters (mostly useless).

Perhaps the target audience is the post BBC3 audience - those mythical first time buyers with a small blank patch behind the house. That has been tackled many times before, most recently by Chris Beardshaw in the Beechgrove series.

While that was good I did wonder about the costs involved which are likely to be a major factor for people starting out. For example a lovely stone retaining wall might be the most effective solution to a sloping back garden but £k's for landscape engineering is not something first time buyers have lying around. A favourite topic round here is pallet engineering for garden use - cheap solutions in the Geoff Hamilton style.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,637

Who are Golden Glove Productions? I found one theatre group, a company in America that deals with pop concerts and another that sells gloves, among other things. They don't sound very gardeny or BBC.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I suspect they may have a bit of trouble with Latin names too judging by the original postimage