More help needed for a gardener wannabe

So, here is my second plot.  

Its a south facing border with trees behind (which have to stay).  The garden is a good size but it needs to remain as a lawn as I have 3 boys who love to play football, rugby and general wrestling!  I was thinking of creating 2 raised beds with sleepers or something similar so then they are a little protected from balls and have clean soil without the tree roots.  So I'm thinking crocus, Aliums, Lavender, Sea breeze,Euonymus japonicus, hellebores, rosemary, sage, hebes, lupin, Nandina domestica.  I'm looking for a modern look, not too cottage garden, easy maintenance, with flowers all year round.  Whats your thoughts please?  THANKS!!

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,865

make sure you put weed suppression membrane under the raised beds otherwise the tree roots will quickly grow into them.

As for plants if its south facing and a raised bed you need things that like heat and dry (hellebores like the opposite) but any Mediterranean herbs - lavender, rosemary etc. should be fine

• Thanks treehugger80.  Thats a great tip.  I shall delete hellebores from my list then.  I like the structure and colours of herbs.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,603

Hellebores are lovely under deciduous trees, when they catch spring sunshine. if you are anywhere near the west midlands, Ashwoods nursery has the most beautiful hellebores to pick from.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I'm an hour away. In Malvern
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,096

I find Hellebores do well, in my dry woodland, under the cover of mature Beech trees. The exception is possibly H.argutifolius, which seems to need a bit more sun.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand